POETRY SPOTLIGHT: Pam Handa on Hope and Optimism

Hi, readers!  We have a real treat in store for you today, a poetry spotlight.  In these poetry spotlights today and in the future, we will be showcasing poetry by some very talented poets.  These poets have graced us with their presence.  

With us today is poet Pam Handa.  Here is a little taste of her poetry and her views on the world of poetry.




What is a Heart bereft of Hope?

Hope brings me strength; hope brings me joy.
Hope uplifts my mind towards the sky.
Hope is that magic beyond all logic,
That makes me smile or run over a mile.
Imprisoned by sorrow when my heart does mourn,
Hope, my anchor, inspires me towards the dawn.
Then my winged feet carry me across grief ’s line,
Willingly I drown in the quicksand of past time.
Remorse withdrawn new courage is born,
Ignoring the cruel sundial of age I’m gone-
Far away where the glimmer of hope I can see,
Clearly transform sad feelings to comfort me.
When with heavy heart my thoughts I strum,
Oblivious to this noisy world I begin to hum . . . .
What is a heart bereft of new hopes?
Simply an object that in darkness gropes.
If life had more hope than despair,
Could we our sorrow not repair?
And if it were the other way round
Would we not die without a sound?


Because

Because of the hopes I pinned on you,
Because of the optimism you filled in me,
Because of the courage instilled by you,
Because of the desires exhibited by me,
Because of love, because of hope;
Because of joy, because I could cope;
Because of you, because of me;
Because of the strength stored within my spirit free-
The sea of despair was easy to cross-
The burden of sorrow we were able to gloss.
Now all is calm; quiet as a breeze;
The life’s blessings endure with sheen and ease.
Unforgettable memories collected from yore-
The mark of our love, which they undoubtedly bore.
Though my mind ticks away like a grandfather clock,
The ship of life has yet to dock.
The beating of emotions solid as rock,
Will only stop when breathing stops.





What Pam has to say about her poetry:



People often wonder why I went into writing at this late stage in life. To begin with, I believe it is never too late to do what you love. Secondly, since my parents had made huge sacrifices to give me the best education of the times, I felt I should not let those sacrifices go to waste.

Moreover, I have always had a passion for writing in general, and writing rhyming couplets, in particular, ever since I can remember. My mother, who could rattle off Shakespeare at any given moment, became my listening audience when I was growing up. Unfortunately it is very late in life that I got published.

The subject matter of my recent anthology of poems Wings of the Heart is varied. In addition to cultural themes, this book dwells not only on sentimental matters of the heart, the seat of soulful feelings and emotions but also on the heart of such matters. In today’s crazy commercial world, the poems in this book transport us to the good old days when music, poetry, dance and drama were the wings of the heart and soul.

In each poem I don the required robe of a happy, sad, optimistic, pessimistic, loving, caring or dreaming human being with particular dreams, problems, and thoughts. In fact, once I decide to view life from various angles, I quickly transform myself into the person I wish to portray. I am a happy person in some poems; I become a disappointed lover in others. Often I transform myself into an optimist and sometimes I become a complete pragmatist. There are times when I even become an inquisitive journalist seeking answers to some important riddles of life. In fact, sometimes I seem to be in love, sometimes I become an idealist and a dreamer and often I am full of the zest for life.

Readers, my poems are in the form of traditional verse. They are rhythmic, soulful and meaningful. They describe a panoramic view of the millions of thoughts, hopes, fears, joys, achievements, failures despair, dejection, rejection we as human beings are bound to face in life. They will surely touch the hearts of most of you who still maintain a sentimental side to your characters even in today’s materialistic world where there is no time to stand and stare!

In our new tech savvy world, people often shy away from poetry. They think it is too difficult or boring. They find it hard to find time to read. Believe me, poetry is that powerful tool which enables us not only to convey our thoughts, feelings and emotions, but also to unburden our very souls most effectively. Poets are God’s chosen people blessed with His special love and can definitely influence the world to make it a more beautiful place. In addition, the ability to rhyme thoughts into words is so fulfilling. I feel so very blessed to be able to write out my thoughts in rhyming couplets. I know it has enabled me successfully voice human joys, fears, thoughts, emotions etc. 

Finally, the pen is surely mightier than the sword and if there were more poets than terrorists, what a wonderful world we would be living in!


Poet Bio
  

My name is Pam Handa nee Kochhar. I was born in New Delhi but have spent most of my life in Ghana and the UK. I graduated from the Sacred Heart College Dalhousie, in India. I received my Masters degree from the Punjab University as well as a gold medal for coming first. I started my teaching career in the English Dept of the same university. I married Dr Prem Handa, a Paediatrician, in 1968 and in 1972 we emigrated to Ghana. Today, I am the author of two books recently published by Trafford in the USA. 

Of Kismet and Karma, my first novel, is a cross-cultural blend of fact and fiction, based on my personal experiences in India, Ghana and the UK. My anthology of poems is entitled Wings of the Heart. Both books are available on Amazon.com, as E-books and in all Barnes and Nobles shops. The EBOOKS are really cheap. Get hold of them and spend time on going back to all that stirs the very soul!


Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/PAM-HANDA-NEE-KOCHHAR/121487404694554



Book Links:


http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17240630-of-kismet-and-karma



 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...