POETRY SPOTLIGHT: CJ Heck on Gentle Sensuality

Hi, readers!  We have a real treat in store for you today, a poetry spotlight.  In these poetry spotlights today and in the future, we will be showcasing poetry by some very talented poets.  These poets have graced us with their presence.  

With us today is poet CJ Heck.  Here is a little taste of her poetry and her views on gentle sensuality.


When It's Over, You Just Know 

You don't always know
how you know, 
it comes slowly, the awareness. 
With the certainty and final resignation 
of a child learning there's no Santa Claus, 
you just know.

The breakfast table, once a venue 
for long dreamy stares 
and coffee-flavored kisses, 
awkwardly becomes a silent stage 
for reading the news, 
eating breakfast, and 
you just know.

The smell of his shirt 
when you'd bury your face there, 
the feel of his hands on your body 
as if they had a life of their own, 
all silently slip to a place 
wherever memories go 
to gather dust, and 
you just know. 

You miss the nights, 
how his body and yours 
breathed and moved as one. 
Maybe it's those nights 
and how they were 
that give the knowing life, but 
you just know. 

Like ocean waves upon the sand, 
love recedes 
with all the other yesterdays 
and you would trade 
all your tomorrows 
to have it back, but 
you just know.




We Need to Get Away

Have I told you lately
how good you smell
when the shower
spits you out?
I can't recall
the last time, but
it wouldn't surprise me,
considering what time
we actually have to spend
alone together these days.
I do know, I remember
how intense it used to be.
We need to get away,
just the two of us,
before we grow any ruts
in this lovely road …

Let's go somewhere now,
before talking dirty
really means:
"You doing a light load?
Can you grab my pj's
from the hook
on the bathroom door?"

Before wanna catch a quickie?
really means:
"I'm pooped.  Wanna take a nap?"

Before Oh God, I'm coming!
actually means,
"Don't nag me, I'm almost ready!
Go ahead, start the car."

Let's go somewhere now
while Baby, that was fantastic!
still means more than
a Sunday Scrabble win.

It's not too late ...
I remember.

  
A Box for Goodwill

As a friend, I had come to help
yet one more time
and I watched as she set
the cardboard box on the floor.
It was labeled for Goodwill,
penned in large block letters.
From deep in the closet,
she brought out an old blue suit.
It had faded over the years,
but I saw in her eyes
the memories still had not.
Softly, she smoothed the sleeves
that dangled flat and empty.
Then she stroked the slack trousers
on the smooth wooden hanger.
Gently, she brushed
the dust from the collar and lapel,
and then I heard her sigh.
Her resolve had melted away.
Again we talked and remembered.
We spoke of long ago,
how the sleeves encircled her
in warm secure hugs,
and the trousers had covered
lean muscular legs,
legs slightly bowed,
legs that loved to dance,
and what she missed the most
--the heart that beat below
the lapel of the old blue suit,
the heart that beat with love for her.
For over forty years,
the suit had stood sentinel,
loyally guarding both her
and those memories,
and I watched as she carefully
replaced the suit and closed
the closet door.
Through quiet tears
she asked once more
how all of that could ever fit
in a box for Goodwill.

 
A Poet for a Lover

Oh Lord, give me a poet for a lover,
whose words stroke me like velvet hands.
Word-tender caresses more reaching
than the caress of a mere mortal man.

A poet's light touch is so gentle.
Word-fingers probe deep every time,
arousing me, haunting me, wetting me,
seducing me, body and mind.

Oh Lord, give me a poet for a lover!
Lust and fire burn deep in his heart.
A silver-tongued devil whose words make me ache
to be on my knees in the dark.

Word-foreplay making me want him,
only mind-loved, I want to be free
to feel just one time, my poet inside, where only mind-lust up to now has loved me. 






Poet Bio  

CJ Heck is a published poet, writer, blogger, and the author of three children's books, a collection of short stories, and her newest, a poetry book for adults. She is also a Vietnam War widow.

CJ has three daughters and eleven grandchildren. She lives and writes in Florida with her partner, Robert Cosmar, who is also an author.

For book excerpts, more information, interviews, or to invite CJ to your school, or organization, please call 352-299-5634 or visit her website, Barking Spiders Poetry.
My Etsy Shop for Autographed Books:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CJHeckBooks

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...