Interview with Author Maxine Flam

My guest today is Maxine Flam.  Hello, Maxine!  Welcome to Writing in the Modern Age!  It’s such a pleasure to have you here.

Can you tell us a little bit about your book? When did it come out? Where can we get it? 




http://www.amazon.com/Unglorious-War-Maxine-Flam-ebook/dp/B00980YAK4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387225465&sr=8-2&keywords=maxine+flamMy book is entitled Unglorious War.  It is a historically accurate romance novel that takes place during the Vietnam War between an ex-POW Special Forces Officer and the Navy Nurse who rehabilitates him.  It came out as a paperback in Feb 2009 and as an e-book in July 2011.  It was available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, allromanceebooks.com, maxineflam.com, alibris, and Powells.

Is there anything that prompted your latest book ? Something that inspired you?


I am an outspoken Veterans Right’s advocate. I was on the Board of Directors of two non-profit Veterans groups. I met many veterans from various conflicts (WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War) and I was involved in protests trying to get benefits for veterans.  I have been interviewed on numerous radio programs and have written many articles for the local paper.  It was this involvement that prompted me to write my book.  I initially became involved in Veteran’s issues when my father passed away due to a VA mistake.  I spent the next four and a half years fighting the VA and ultimately winning.

Wow.  

So, when did you know you wanted to write?  Or has it always been a pastime of yours?


After I beat the VA, I felt I wanted to express my feelings in some way. I met numerous veterans, specifically from Vietnam, and they inspired me to write my story.

Do you have any favorite authors?


My favorite author is James Patterson.  I love the Alex Cross series.
  
Do you write in a specific place?  Time of day? 

I mostly write on the dining room table.  That is where the laptop is set-up.  Time of day varies.  Sometimes in the evening into the night.  Sometimes in the afternoon when I am not working.  Mornings aren’t good for me.  I’m not a morning person.

I'm not either, Maxine.

Are there any words you'd like to impart to fellow writers?  Any advice? 

If I were to give any advice, I would tell someone who wanted to write to write their passion.  I was rejected by 44 agents.  One agent told me, “Vietnam doesn’t sell.”  So I self-published my book.  There are some things I would do differently but not writing this book isn’t one of them.  Recently, a literary agent asked me for a copy of my e-book.  I sent it to her and am waiting to hear if she liked it or not. It has been over four years and lots of effort.  As time permits, I will continue to write and plug away on the marketing of Unglorious War.  

What an inspiring story, Maxine!

Here is the blurb for Unglorious War.

Unglorious War is a love story that takes place during the Vietnam War between a wounded ex-POW Special Forces Officer and the Navy Nurse who rehabilitates him. Share their passion, share their love, share their faith journey as they question their choice to be career military personnel during a difficult time in American history.

Here is an excerpt from Unglorious War.


I knew Major Smith was different than anyone I had ever encountered.  I was having feelings for a man I just met.  How was this possible?  I felt deep in my soul that this man wasn’t going to be an average case.  No, not at all.  He wasn’t an average man.  He was a man who had been to hell and back, a Special Forces Officer who endured time as POW and God knows what else but I knew when he first opened those baby blue eyes and stared at me, he was unlike any man I had ever taken care of.  As his battered and bruised body laid there in the bed like a shattered doll, I looked into his eyes and saw his soul.

Author Bio 

I have written for the Los Angeles Daily News as a guest columnist writing about various issues that affect the community.


I have an Associates of Arts Degree from Los Angeles Valley College.

I have been an outspoken advocate of Veterans Rights appearing on numerous radio programs and have been on the Board of Directors for Veterans for Constitutional Law, Ltd, and The Veterans Advisory Board.  I was also an Associate Member of the 5th Armored Division which was my father’s military division in WWII. 

I am a lover of aquariums.  I currently have two tanks with tetras in one and African dwarf frogs in the other.

Social Networking.  I primarily work with LinkedIn.

My book is available on Smashwords, Allromanceebooks, Amazon, Maxineflam.com Barnes and Noble.  

 

Books: 


http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/unglorious-war-maxine-flam/1100073080?ean=9780982117408

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Unglorious War, indeed, Maxine. I lost friends to that Asian conflict. The Veterans received no heroes' welcome when they returned; that's for sure. A lot of them got cancer from exposure to "agent orange," ended up crazy and homeless, or committed suicide. I salute you for finding the courage to write a story set during this "difficult time in American history." Maybe I can summon the courage to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Linda. My dad was in the war too, and he resents every second of it.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...