Interview with Author Sue Raymond

My guest today is Sue Raymond.  Hello, Sue!  Welcome back to Writing in the Modern Age!  It’s such a pleasure to have you here. 
 
Can you tell us a little bit about your latest book? When did it come out? Where can we get it?


http://bookgoodies.com/a/B00MT614MQ


My latest novel, Healer of Surflex, is a fantasy. It came out March 3, 2014. It is on Amazon and CreateSpace.
 
Is there anything that prompted your latest book?  Something that inspired you?


I was reading a YA fantasy series by Donita Paul to my grandchildren and realized this would be an outlet for my wild imagination, then my alternate inner person, Lady Laindora, took over and Healer of Surflex was created.

So, when did you know you wanted to write?  Or has it always been a pastime of yours?  


I have been making up stories every since I was small growing up on an acreage with no near neighbors with children to play with so it was mostly just my sister and I playing on long, hot summer days in an old chicken coop.


Do you have any favorite authors?
I like the classic novels the best. The modern day authors I read the most are Donita Paul, Dean Koontz and James Patterson.

Great! So, do you write in a specific place? Time of day?


I usually write late at night or when there is no one else at home.

I hear you. It's easier to write when it's quiet.


Are there any words you'd like to impart to fellow writers? Any advice?


The best advice I can give to fellow writers is not to worry about editing, grammar, spelling, even chapters. Just write your story first whether by long hand or what other tool you decide to utilize to get it out of your imagination and on paper. Then you can go back and fine tune your story. Whether you are a plotter or pantser, you first have to relax and let the story develop to have it flow and not stiff. Most of all; enjoy your writing and it will be better.
 
I agree. Thank you for stopping by, Sue!  :)

Readers, here is the blurb for Healer of Surflex.
Kerlia has fought to survive even before she was born because of the prophecy a child will destroy Kernel's evil hold over the Kingdom of Surflex and heal the Kingdom. Kernel's minions search for the healer as his wizards strive to design the ultimate weapon to end the resistance and bring the Kingdom completely under Kernel's control. They have destroyed Kerlia's mother at her birth and are closing in on where her father, Terian, has hidden her. They all most succeed in Kerlia's capture in the forest however she escapes only to be transported to the fairy realm. Under the guidance of the pixies, faires,and militant brownies Kerlia must learn how to control her healing powers to protect those she loves from Kernel. Can a mere child stand against Kernel's evil that has brought so many men to their knees?
Here is an excerpt.



Kerlia arrived as spring’s first fragrant blossoms of Lainalacenest trail up the side of the stable wall burst forth, filled the air with sweet odors, blotted out the musky smells from the stable. Terian cleansed her, wrapped her in a soft blanket made of calfskin. She stared silently at his every movement through deep emerald green eyes. Nothing Terian tried produced a sound from her blood red lips. Her eyes filled with tears. However, not a peep uttered from her tiny, pursed lips.


Terian cradled her preciously in his arm. He kissed his gloved fingers, pressed them gently to her lips. Flames of wispy red hair downed her forehead. Her ivory skin glistened in contrast to the brown calfskin blanket. He raised and went over to Pomelia who was lying against the pillows at the head of the bed. He leaned Kerlia down for her inspection. Terian beamed full of pride. “Pomelia, darling, see God hasn’t forsaken us. He has given us a beautiful, healthy daughter. Kerlia’s beautiful.”

Pomelia’s reflection in the early morning light darkened at the mention of daughter. Her eyes turned cold and unyielding her body stiffened. Her lips thinned to nothing, curled back over her teeth in a snarl.

“Idiot! God has indeed forsaken me! He mocks my hopes of having sons by sending me a worthless daughter and took back my sons each time I was able to persuade Kernel to give me one. I want nothing to do with God or the worthless thing in your arms. Throw it out of this cottage, for I’ll not waste my energy suckling it! Throw it out and give me my son the soothsayer promised me because Kernel was pleased with my sacrifices. Here, give it to me and I’ll take it to the soothsayer to sacrifice on Kernel’s altar. Then Kernel will present me with my son as promised!” She viciously snatched at the calfskin blanket.

Terian leaped back at the horrid creature Pomelia had become, her limbs twisted unnaturally, her eyes sunk into her face turned into ebony spheres. Her creamy skin turned into a wrinkled greenish yellow mass clung to her bones.

Terian heard the sinister mocking, “See Blacksmith. See, Pomelia is no more as I forewarned you in your foolish stubborn pride in your worthless god. Kernel has claimed her. He will do the same to the wiggling weakling in your arms. Kernel already took its voice. Kernel will claim him as he did its mother. There is nothing you or your worthless god can do to stop it.” The soothsayer materialized on the other side of the bed, her wrinkled face ridiculed Terian’s faith, mimicked the horror within his soul.

The wiggling mass that was once Pomelia swung its withered head away from Terian and the baby, toward the soothsayer. Its lips curled back over its teeth into a hideous snarl. “Why,” it croaked, “Why has Kernel done this to me? I faithfully followed your instructions. I took the herbs. I forsook God because Kernel promised what God refused to grant. I drugged Terian’s drink as we planned when I conceived the child, chanting the correct incantations to Kernel.”

The soothsayer swung her cane, smashed the creature in the face. Bones crumbled under the force of the blow, caved the facial bones into the brain. It collapsed upon the bed, blood flowed from the crater left by the blow, stained the sheets. Terian ran to the fireplace. He snatched up the poker, hurled it with deadly accuracy. The soothsayer screamed in agony, dropped her cane as the poker impaled her heart and lung, pinned her to the wall.

Blood foamed from her snarled lips. “You haven’t stopped Kernel by my death, Blacksmith. Kernel will claim the child as he claimed its mother. See even now Kernel’s claws are claiming it, watching delightfully in its pain.” Terian bolted from the cottage, the soothsayer’s dying words rang in his ears, “You can’t outrun Kernel, Blacksmith. There is nowhere to run!”


Author Bio
 
Sue Raymond was born and raised in the Midwest along with her siblings. Sue was trained in the Commercial art field before marrying her husband. After raising two sons and having five grandchildren Sue started a new avenue in her life, writing. She has six published novels as she works on four other novels and children’s stories.     

 

Author Links:






Books:   



http://www.amazon.com/Healer-Surflex-Lady-Laindora-ebook/dp/B00MT614MQ/ref=la_B00JC3M3NS_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420836240&sr=1-1

 


http://www.amazon.com/Resin-Rock-Sue-Raymond-ebook/dp/B00J7YSS54/ref=la_B00JC3M3NS_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420840388&sr=1-6




http://www.amazon.com/Death-Plummet-DeBois-Book-4-ebook/dp/B00G4IS068/ref=la_B00JC3M3NS_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420840388&sr=1-7

 

http://www.amazon.com/Rendezvous-Past-Sue-Raymond/dp/1435747089/ref=la_B00JC3M3NS_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420840388&sr=1-5



http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Secrets-Sue-Raymond/dp/1435747070/ref=la_B00JC3M3NS_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420840388&sr=1-3



http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Witness-DeBois-Sue-Raymond/dp/143574702X/ref=la_B00JC3M3NS_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420840388&sr=1-4


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...